Best ever Carrot and Walnut Cake....


I just have to share this recipe. Are you after the best Carrot cake ever. Well I have it here. I have made many carrot cakes in the last year.

You see I really wanted and Kitchen Aid. So my husband bought me one with a condition attached. Everyday at work he buys himself a coffee with a slice of carrot cake. He worked out the price of the cake after one year would equate to the cost of the Kitchen Aid.

You guessed it!! I have to make carrot cake so that he can take a slice to work with his lunch each day.

I have tried a few recipes now. So I have tweaked a few and changed some things and this is it. It is moist, full of carrots, spices and flavour.

Ingredients you will need:
  • 1¼ cups dark brown sugar
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1½ cups plain flour
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon mixed spice
  • 5-6 grated carrot
  • 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
Instructions

Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a round 9 inch tin with baking paper.


Beat sugar and oil with an electric beater for 2 minutes.


Add eggs one at a time. These are eggs from my chickens.


Beat for a further 2 minutes so that the egg is all incorporated.


Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice. (sometimes I add extra mixed spice I just love it) Leave it to just sit on the top of the sugar mixture while you get the carrots ready.


Grate carrots and add it to the bowl.


It looks like a lot of carrots, I know. It is carrot cake after all.


Add chopped walnuts. Mix together with a large spoon until all combined.


Place into the prepared tin and bake for 1hr and 10 minutes. ( times may vary due to different ovens, check after on hr.). Allow to cool in the tin.


The smell through the house is just magnificent.


It just rises beautifully. My kids can't get enough of this cake either. They love taking it to school and having a slice or three when they come home from school.


And Dave is happy he gets his slice of carrot cake for work. And I got my Kitchen Aid.

I don't like the cream cheese icing as it is then too hard to package for school and work, but if you like you can always make a Cream Cheese Frosting to go over the top.

Filomena xx

Comments